New Tahoe Yukon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 GMC Yukon Denali

First time posting in here and also a first time Yukon owner.

3 Issues:

• Makes whistling sound when car restarts after auto stop. (Roll window down to hear)
  • When slowing down and it downshifts from 20mph to 10mph, there is a pronounced spinning sound. (Window is rolled down, can’t hear it if window is rolled up)
  • When pressing the gas in between 30-50mph, you can hear the exact same whistling / spinning sound. (Can hear it with window rolled up)

Can any other 2021 Yukon owners confirm there is a spinning sound when it restarts from the Auto Stop function? Turn off the AC to help engage it into Auto Stop. Roll down your window and listen.

The dealership has stated the usual...this is normal and no we couldn’t duplicate the sound.

I posted videos of the sound on YouTube in hopes of confirming other either have the same issue or don’t. Look up 2021 Yukon Denali Engine noise and my vids should come up.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 GMC Yukon Denali

3 Issues:

• Makes whistling sound when car restarts after auto stop. (Roll window down to hear)
  • When slowing down and it downshifts from 20mph to 10mph, there is a pronounced spinning sound. (Window is rolled down, can’t hear it if window is rolled up)
  • When pressing the gas in between 30-50mph, you can hear the exact same whistling / spinning sound. (Can hear it with window rolled up)

Can any other 2021 Yukon owners confirm there is a spinning sound when it restarts from the Auto Stop function? Turn off the AC to help engage it into Auto Stop. Roll down your window and listen.

The dealership has stated the usual...this is normal and no we couldn’t duplicate the sound.

I posted videos of the sound on YouTube in hopes of confirming other either have the same issue or don’t. Look up 2021 Yukon Denali Engine noise and my vids should come up.

I am experiencing the same and had the same feedback from the dealership. Converter? Belt? I’m so upset as this was supposed to be a car we love and it’s just full of weird problems. Are you considering taking to another dealer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am experiencing the same and had the same feedback from the dealership. Converter? Belt? I’m so upset as this was supposed to be a car we love and it’s just full of weird problems. Are you considering taking to another dealer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am considering it. When I left the dealership, I requested to compare my Yukon with another as a sanity check and made them put my request on the ticket. Of course they haven’t reached out. I don’t have an ample amount of free time with my workload, so this whole situation has been a gut puncH.

I’ve made a few videos on YouTube hoping someone out there would possibly be having the same issues I am. I know with a V8, it’s not going to be quiet. Now I am hyper sensitive to the sound, so I find myself riding without the radio on listening, which doesn’t allow me to enjoy this car I have wanted for so damn long. Type in 2021 Yukon Denali Engine Noise and my videos will pop up with the sound.
Let’s stay in touch and keep each other posted.
...side note, when I got home from work tonight my infotainment system stayed on after the car was off. Naturally, the first thing I do is type in Infotainment issue 2021 Yukon and it brought me here. Looks like a lot of people are having issues. Now it’s just one more thing that is going to irritate me to no end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am considering it. When I left the dealership, I requested to compare my Yukon with another as a sanity check and made them put my request on the ticket. Of course they haven’t reached out. I don’t have an ample amount of free time with my workload, so this whole situation has been a gut puncH.

I’ve made a few videos on YouTube hoping someone out there would possibly be having the same issues I am. I know with a V8, it’s not going to be quiet. Now I am hyper sensitive to the sound, so I find myself riding without the radio on listening, which doesn’t allow me to enjoy this car I have wanted for so damn long. Type in 2021 Yukon Denali Engine Noise and my videos will pop up with the sound.
Let’s stay in touch and keep each other posted.
...side note, when I got home from work tonight my infotainment system stayed on after the car was off. Naturally, the first thing I do is type in Infotainment issue 2021 Yukon and it brought me here. Looks like a lot of people are having issues. Now it’s just one more thing that is going to irritate me to no end.
My 2021 6.2 Denali is also doing this. Both the startup and the slowdown. On mine you can also hear it when you are in a low gear (assuming V4 mode) chugging along. I've only had the vehicle a week or so, so I'm still studying the sound and when it reproduces. I clamped the exhaust flapper valve open to see if it made a difference, and it did not. It sounds a lot like a belt slip/alignment issue, but I would be very surprised if that was the case on a brand new vehicle. Nonetheless, you can usually test the belts by wetting them with water, and the sound will disappear for a few seconds. So I'm going to see if I can test that on the auto start/stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@YukonGa @YukonNJ Did you make any progress on this noise with your dealership?
i have not, only due to my workload though. It is still 100% on my radar to take up there and make my case.

Im assuming you are having the same issues too. I made a few videos and posted them on YouTube. Just type in 2021 Yukon Denali Engine Noise and it should pop up. If you have similar videos by chance, please let me know. My hope when I originally posted on here, was there would be a few people experiencing this. The more proof that we can put together that other owners are experiencing, will only strengthen our case.

Owner to owner, this sucks. It’s deflating. They are not cheap and at a minimum, you would think transmission / engine noises would be the last thing we would be dealing with.

If I do anything on my end, I will post here to keep everyone updated when I take it in. If there is a break in this issue, please post if your issue was resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hell all, I’m having this same exact issue with my 2021 6.2 Denali. Two dealerships have told me it’s normal and it is the exhaust valve flap which I feel is not the answer. My ‘chirp’/‘squeal’ happens at the exact same times you describe, when I’m slowing down to a stop and when the auto on off restarts, it happens right after the normal ingnition sounds. I just can’t believe that engineering would find that consistent noise acceptable in any new vehicle. I would really like to find resolve to this issue. Thanks for posting.

i have not, only due to my workload though. It is still 100% on my radar to take up there and make my case.

Im assuming you are having the same issues too. I made a few videos and posted them on YouTube. Just type in 2021 Yukon Denali Engine Noise and it should pop up. If you have similar videos by chance, please let me know. My hope when I originally posted on here, was there would be a few people experiencing this. The more proof that we can put together that other owners are
xperiencing, will only strengthen our case.

Owner to owner, this sucks. It’s deflating. They are not cheap and at a minimum, you would think transmission / engine noises would be the last thing we would be dealing with.

If I do anything on my end, I will post here to keep everyone updated when I take it in. If there is a break in this issue, please post if your issue was resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hell all, I’m having this same exact issue with my 2021 6.2 Denali. Two dealerships have told me it’s normal and it is the exhaust valve flap which I feel is not the answer. My ‘chirp’/‘squeal’ happens at the exact same times you describe, when I’m slowing down to a stop and when the auto on off restarts, it happens right after the normal ingnition sounds. I just can’t believe that engineering would find that consistent noise acceptable in any new vehicle. I would really like to find resolve to this issue. Thanks for posting.
Clamp your exhaust valve open, it will still reproduce (at least mine did). I do think a similar noise is made by the exhaust valve while cruising, but this is not it.

Mine is also making the exact same noises as in @YukonGa's video. Both auto star/stop and deceleration.

One thing I discovered today, on the noise during deceleration... If you drive the car hard and then decelerate to a stop, it does not squeak. My hypothesis is if the car is in V8 mode during deceleration, that noise will not occur. Under normal conditions, I think it is transitioning from V4 to V8 in preparation for a stop. It could also be related to what gear the transmission is in, and chirping while shifting in preparation for a stop.

FWIW, I heard another 2021 Yukon Denali make the exact same chirping noise at a stop light the other day (from auto stop/start).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Denali is making the exact same noise, can only hear when windows are down and coming to a stop. ( never use auto stop/start)
In a strange way i feel a bit better that it’s not just me, that in a sense the more people with the same issue things have a better chance of getting resolved.

There is no way this is normal. Hopefully a fix soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any conclusions to this?
Nothing on my end. It’s really tough with my schedule to carve out a day and do this. I was hoping that we would continue to see cases like our pop up, so it will make the case that there is a serious disconnect somewhere. I encourage you and everyone else that is experiencing this issue to post videos on YouTube. Strength in numbers. Take a look at the vids I posted if you haven’t already. Type in Denali Engine Noise and it will pop up a few videos down.
- Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
2021 GMC Yukon Denali

3 Issues:

Hello, I have a 21 Yukon Denali as well just hit 9k miles and been experiencing a whistling/humming noise. Took to 1 dealership they said it was normal, I wouldn’t accept that so I took to another dealership who determined some kind of pump failed, and now they had to order me a new transmission!!! I’m furious. Cant even enjoy my truck, and I’m afraid having that on my car fax may decrease value. Was driving fine too, just couldn’t get over that noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I have a 21 Yukon Denali as well just hit 9k miles and been experiencing a whistling/humming noise. Took to 1 dealership they said it was normal, I wouldn’t accept that so I took to another dealership who determined some kind of pump failed, and now they had to order me a new transmission!!! I’m furious. Cant even enjoy my truck, and I’m afraid having that on my car fax may decrease value. Was driving fine too, just couldn’t get over that noise.
KH, I'm curious if you had the exact noise that @YukonGa posted in the video (start/stop, on deceleration, etc). And also if the transmission swap fixes it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts